Being prepared for the NBHWC class is the first step to having an open mind to learning new techniques for health coaching and how to refine the skills you may already have.
Ensuring that you have completed the weekly readings for that class is key to knowing what will be discussed.
To still be fully present for the class, you must clear your mind of any worries before you enter. Practicing mindfulness before the session will allow you to have a clear and open mind for learning. What you learn in class can sometimes be information overload, so taking some time before to prepare can make it easier on yourself. Therefore, schedule about 15 minutes on your calendar before class to allow yourself plenty of time to get ready. Below is a checklist of things you should do before class to help you be more prepared:
- Ensure you have completed the weekly readings.
- If you have questions about the readings, bring them to class.
- Come with a notebook and pen to jot down notes or quotes that stick with you
- Silence or put away cellphones or other devices a few minutes before class to help ease any worldly worries and to help clear your mind. (Make sure to bring a laptop to class if instructed)
- Take about 5 minutes before the class to clear your mind by listening to the mindfulness video here.
- Ensuring you have used the restroom, have a drink, and maybe a light snack before class will help you stay focused during the class and not wondering when your break is.
Clearing your mind can help you stay focused on what is essential at the time and is something you can practice before your future coaching sessions to help you remain present.