The time commitment for the NBHWC program is equivalent to most college courses. Time is spent in class each week completing reading materials and watching videos, completing the weekly quiz, and preparing for the following week. The weekly class meeting lasts for about 2.5 hours, with a couple of 10-15 minute breaks sprinkled throughout. The weekly time commitment to complete the weekly readings, watch course content related videos, and to complete the quiz takes up about 3-5 hours in addition to the time spent in class. To help you navigate managing time in this course, below are some helpful tips that helped me:
- Place time on your calendar to complete the readings, watch the videos and take the quizzes. This does not have to be done all in one day. Pace yourself!
- Putting away or silencing distractions is the best way to retain what you are learning.
- If you know there may be a week where you miss class, be sure to schedule a little extra time to watch the recording from that day to ensure you are not behind and stay on top of tasks.
- Do not wait until the last minute to complete your quizzes. This will cause you unnecessary stress and panic.
- Making study cards and study guides as you go will help you prepare for the certification and less prep time once you have completed the course.
The time you devote to this course will help you refine your health coaching skills and make the engagement with a client/member more personable than before. The time you devote to time management will help you ace the NBHWC exam.